Here is a flyer for an upcoming program on Fundraising and Receipting in Ottawa February 23, 2011.
Join us on February 23 for two new
Fundraising Guidance and Receipting
Workshops in Ottawa!
RA Centre – Courtside B Room
2451 Riverside Dr
Ottawa, ON K1H 7X7
Understanding CRA’s Fundraising Guidance and More (9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) - $25
In June 2009, Canada Revenue Agency released new guidelines regarding fundraising. Charity lawyer Mark Blumberg will review the Fundraising Guidance as well as explore key compliance and standards issues. By the end of this workshop you will learn:
• CRA’s rules on appropriate allocation of fundraising expenses and new transparency, accountability and disclosure requirements that have been introduced for Canadian charities;
• about fundraising ratios and how they may affect your choice of fundraising methods;
• the consequences of inappropriate fundraising including director and officer liability;
• the other 10 top legal compliance issues registered charities need to understand.
The Dos and Don’ts of Charitable Receipting (1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.) - $25
Did you know that 89% of registered charities were found to be improperly issuing official donation receipts when audited by CRA? Join Mark Blumberg as he discusses charitable receipting and how to make sure that your charitable status is not jeopardized. Following the session, you will be able to answer these questions and many more:
• when is your charity allowed to issue official donation receipts and for how much?
• what is split receipting and how does it affect your galas, golf tournaments and other fundraisers?
• what are the top receipting mistakes and abuses and how do you avoid them?
Who should attend these workshops?
• CEOs, directors, staff, and volunteers of Canadian registered charities that are involved with either fundraising, issuing donation receipts or governance
How to register:
• See Registration Form.for details on how to register online, by fax, by phone or by mail
Do you require legal advice with respect to Canadian or Ontario non-profits or charities?
Mark Blumberg is a partner at the law firm of Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto and works almost exclusively in the areas of non-profit and charity law.