I have been asked to testify before the House of Commons Standing Committee on Finance which is studying various issues relating to the charity sector including tax incentives for charitable donations, charities and political activities, and cross border philanthropy. My comments will probably focus on the importance of transparency in the charitable and non-profit sector.
The Finance Committee will be having hearings on May 3 and May 8. Some of the other speakers (unofficially) are:
• Mr. Owen Charters, CanadaHelps
• Mr. Dennis Howlett, Canadians for Tax Fairness
• Mr. K. Seel, Institute for non-profit studies/Mount Royal University
• Mr. C. Carmichael, Carleton Centre for Community Innovation/ Carleton University
• Ms. C. Quigley, Association of Fundraising Professionals
• Ms. Sharron Wood, Kids Help Phone
May 8, 2012
• Mr. Mark Blumberg,Blumberg Segal LLP
• Mr. Cloutier, Canadian Diabetes Association
• Ms. M. Dodd, Women’s College Hospital Foundation
• Philipe Ozga, Food Banks Canada
• Mr. Adam Jagelewski, MaRS Discovery District / Social Innovation
• Ms Kate Bahen, Charity Intelligence Canada
Do you require legal advice with respect to Canadian or Ontario non-profits or charities?
Mark Blumberg is a partner at the law firm of Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto and works almost exclusively in the areas of non-profit and charity law.