Filing requirements when Canadian registered charities do political activities?

January 15, 2012 | By: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) Mark Blumberg
Topics: What's New from the Charities Directorate of CRA

Canadian charities that are involved with political activities must note that on their T3010 forms.

Here is an excerpt from CRA Guidance on Political Activities - CPS-022

“13. What are the filing requirements?
All registered charities must complete and file an annual return, the Registered Charity Information Return (form T3010). This Return asks for details concerning the charity’s involvement in political activities.”

Here is a discussion of why I think many charities not correctly report political activities on their T3010.

Here is a link to CRA Guidance on Political Activities - CPS-022

As well here is a copy in PDF of the CRA Policy Statement on Political Activities by Canadian Charities CPS-022 - September 2, 2003 so that you can download it easily to your computer.


Do you require legal advice with respect to Canadian or Ontario non-profits or charities?


Charity Lawyer Mark Blumberg

Mark Blumberg is a partner at the law firm of Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto and works almost exclusively in the areas of non-profit and charity law.
Download vCard



Blumberg Segal LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
#1202 - 390 Bay Street
Toronto, Ontario
M5H 2Y2 Canada

Charity Law List

Join Blumbergs' non-profit and charities newsletter
View recent issue: August 2019