Don`t Leave the T3010B Registered Charity Information Return till it is too late

April 09, 2009 | By: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) Mark Blumberg
Topics: What's New from the Charities Directorate of CRA, Canadian Charity Law

Canadian charities whose fiscal year end is in 2009 need to file the T3010B within 6 months of the 2009 fiscal year end.  The T3010B is a mixed accounting and legal form that requires more information than the previous T3010A.

Unfortunately in the past Canadian charities often leave the T3010 till the end and I would suggest in 2009 that charities start the process earlier, obtain legal and accounting advice on the T3010B form, and avoid a last minute rush, confusion, anxiety and distraction from mission.  In terms of transparency for most charities the T3010 is most important document.  Donors are increasingly using the T3010 to compare charities and it is important that the filing is accurate, clear, well thought out, and on time.

Mark Blumberg is a lawyer at Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto, Ontario.  He can be contacted at or at 416-361-1982. To find out more about legal services that Blumbergs provides to Canadian charities and non-profits please visit or

This article is for information purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice. You should not act or abstain from acting based upon such information without first consulting a legal professional.

Do you require legal advice with respect to Canadian or Ontario non-profits or charities?


Charity Lawyer Mark Blumberg

Mark Blumberg is a partner at the law firm of Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto and works almost exclusively in the areas of non-profit and charity law.
Download vCard



Blumberg Segal LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
#1202 - 390 Bay Street
Toronto, Ontario
M5H 2Y2 Canada

Charity Law List

Join Blumbergs' non-profit and charities newsletter
View recent issue: August 2019