Donations to Prescribed Universities Outside Canada - CRA updates publication

December 23, 2009 | By: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) Mark Blumberg
Topics: News, What's New from the Charities Directorate of CRA, Canadian Charity Law, Global Giving

The CRA has updated its publication “Donations to Prescribed Universities Outside Canada”

The main change seems to be a more explicit requirement that the foreign university must provide information on “the number of Canadian students that have attended the institution over the ten years prior to the date of the application and comprehensive information for each student such as their names, address, date of birth, Canadian social insurance number (if available), years attended and the type of degree programs.”  Certain foreign prescribed universities are considered to be qualified donees if they meet the necessary requirements. 

Foreign universities interested in fundraising in Canada should carefully consider different options and if they apply for “prescribed university” status they should ensure that they comply with the necessary requirements after registration or there can be legal and/or reputational issues for the university.

Do you require legal advice with respect to Canadian or Ontario non-profits or charities?


Charity Lawyer Mark Blumberg

Mark Blumberg is a partner at the law firm of Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto and works almost exclusively in the areas of non-profit and charity law.
Download vCard



Blumberg Segal LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
#1202 - 390 Bay Street
Toronto, Ontario
M5H 2Y2 Canada

Charity Law List

Join Blumbergs' non-profit and charities newsletter
View recent issue: July 2019