Upcoming CLIP Seminars on Charity Law in Canada -Federal NPO Act, Budget, Fundraising and Receipting
Posted under News | What's New from the Charities Directorate of CRA | Canadian Charity Law | New corporate non-profit acts | Avoiding 'Charity' Scams
Here are some upcoming Charity Law Information Program (CLIP) seminars which I will be presenting across Canada. The format will be a morning discussing the 2011 Budget provisions for charities, some information on the new Federal Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, and a detailed discussion of fundraising regulations in Canada. The afternoon will focus on The Dos and Don’ts of Charitable Receipting.
Some Upcoming Dates: ( Short link for this page is http://ow.ly/6xnJu )
My colleague Richard Bridge will be delivering some presentations in the Maritimes including:
Dec 2, 2011 Halifax (http://www.capacitybuilders.ca/clip/clip.php)
[Also Save the Date for our Upcoming Two Day Charity Conference in Toronto! “Being Good at Doing Good 2012: Safeguarding Yourself and Your Charity in a Complex World”
Dates: February 13 & 14, 2012
Location: One King West Hotel, Toronto http://www.clipconference.wildapricot.org/ ]
Here is the text of the morning and afternoon workshops for the seminar dates across Canada::
Governance, Corporate Law Changes and CRA’s Fundraising Guidance
(9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
The 2011 Federal Budget included a number of proposals that will affect charities. Join charity lawyer Mark Blumberg and receive an update on the new Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act and learn how you can prepare for the changes it will require. In addition, Mark will be reviewing Canada Revenue Agency’s Fundraising Guidance, provide an update on changes to the Guidance, and address key compliance and standards issues in fundraising. You will learn about:
* key provisions of the recent federal budget dealing with charities;
* how the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act applies to your charity;
* CRA’s rules on appropriate allocation of fundraising expenses;
* new transparency, accountability and disclosure requirements that have been introduced for Canadian charities;
* the consequences of inappropriate fundraising, including director and officer liability.
The Dos and Don’ts of Charitable Receipting
(1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Did you know that 89% of registered charities were found to be improperly issuing official donation receipts when audited by CRA? Join charity lawyer Mark Blumberg as he discusses charitable receipting and how to make sure that your charitable status is not jeopardized. Following the session, you will be able to answer these questions and many more:
* when is your charity allowed to issue official donation receipts and for how much?
* what is split receipting and how does it affect your galas, golf tournaments and other fundraisers?
* what are the top receipting mistakes and abuses and how do you avoid them?
Who should attend these workshops?
* CEOs, directors, staff, and volunteers of Canadian registered charities that are involved with either fundraising, issuing donation receipts or governance
About the Trainer:
Mark Blumberg is a partner of the law firm Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto and works almost exclusively in the areas of non-profit and charity law. He is the editor of http://www.canadiancharitylaw.ca – a Canadian charity law website and http://www.globalphilanthropy.ca – a Canadian website dedicated to legal and ethical issues for Canadian charities operating abroad.
PAST SEMINARS (from August 2011)
Aug 4, 2011 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Aug 8, 2011 Regina, Saskatchewan
September 30, 2011 Charlottetown
Oct 6, 2011 Toronto, Ontario (I think this is sold out already)
Oct 25, 2011 Calgary, Alberta (I think this is sold out already)
Oct 27, 2011 Edmonton, Alberta (I think this is sold out)
Nov 9, 2011 Hamilton
Nov 24, 2011 Peterborough, Ontario [Session Full]
Nov 28, 2011 Ottawa [Session Full]
Dec 5, 2011 Waterloo [Session Full]