Topics: News, What's New from the Charities Directorate of CRA, Canadian Charity Law, Global Giving, New corporate non-profit acts
I look forward to speaking at the AFP Ottawa Fundraising Day 2016 on May 18, 2016. My topic will be "Top 20 Charity Law Issues for Canadian Registered Charities".
Here is a detailed description of the presentation:
A Track - Charity Law Issues- Mark Blumberg
Top 20 Charity Law Issues for Canadian Registered Charities
Keeping your charitable status is one of the most important compliance issues that a fundraiser must deal with. While there may be thousands of legal requirements there are a small number of rules that are most likely to actually result in a charity losing its charitable status. Mark will give you the information and resources you need to help you and your charity maintain your compliance.
Some of the top CRA concerns for Canadian registered charities include:
1. T3010 annual charity information return
2. Official donation receipts
3. Staying within a charity’s legal objects
4. Fundraising regulation and CRA’s Guidance on Fundraising
5. Dealing with Non-Qualified Donees such as Canadian non-profits that are not registered charities and foreign charities
6. Changes to the disbursement quota and its impact on charities
7. The importance of keeping adequate books and records
8. Allowable political activities of Canadian charities
9. Business activities and social enterprise by Canadian charities
10. Mishandling a CRA charity audit
11. Top Liability Concerns for Charities & Directors of Charities
BONUS: a checklist of top 20 compliance concerns with links to resources that provide further information.
Speakers: Mark Blumberg
You can find out more about AFP Ottawa Fundraising Day 2016 and register.
Do you require legal advice with respect to Canadian or Ontario non-profits or charities?
Mark Blumberg is a partner at the law firm of Blumberg Segal LLP in Toronto and works almost exclusively in the areas of non-profit and charity law.